Kuchen is a German name for the cake. In other languages, kuchen is a name for other puddings, dessert and pastries.
German people make the term kuchen popular in USA, Brazil and Chile. In Chile, kuchen is a cake that may contain fruits. Brazilians call it as “cuca” or “cuque”.
Ingredients and Preparation
The main ingredients which are used for the preparation of kuchen crust are enriched and bleached wheat flour, water, soybean oil, yeast, whole eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt, emulsifiers, and natural/artificial flavor
Kuchen filling includes the following major ingredients - cream, modified corn starch, non-fat milk solids, sliced peaches and propylene glycol.
Varieties of Kuchen
1. A pie-like pastry – with custard filling and thick cake like crust
2. A rolled-pastry – also called as nut roll. Dough is filled, rolled, baked and sliced.
3. A coffee cake-like pastry – its main ingredients are sugar and butter.
4. A cheese cake-like pastry – also called as Käsekuchen. A yeast raised crust which is filled with fruit (cherry) custard.
5. A pie-like pastry – with apple pie like filling and thick cake like crust usually with white icing.
Some unique kuchen recipes popular in international cuisine are -
1. Raspberry custard kuchen
2. Peach kuchen – Very high in Vitamin C and sugars
3. zucchini kuchen
4. quick onion kuchen
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1/6 Kuchen (76 g)
Approximate values per serving (Calories - 180 cal, Fat – 6 g, Carbohydrates – 28 g, Protein – 4 g, Saturated fat –2 g, Cholesterol – 55 mg, Sodium – 220 mg, Sugars – 11 g, Dietary fiber – 1 g)
1. Low in Cholesterol
2. Contains Calcium and Iron
4. Contain vitamin A, B1, B3, B6, and B12
1. The sugar in kuchen provides the required energy for the body. Brain also requires simple carbohydrates for energy e.g. glucose subunits.
2. Fruits like apples provide digestive fiber as well as the natural sweetness and help in digestion.
3. Milk proteins help in the formation of strong bones, teeth and muscles. Calcium is also required for the healthy bones and teeth.
4. Iron helps in the formation of hemoglobin which in turn aids in transport of oxygen in body.
5. Kuchen with fruits such as peach, apples and raspberries has essential vitamins, which help in strengthening the body’s immune system.
6. Vitamin A helps in the enhancement of night vision.
Note: Kuchen is - i) High in Fat and saturated fat, ii) Very high in sugars, and iii) High in Sodium
1. Kuchen is very high in sugars and fats which can cause some health concerns such as dental caries, diabetes, and obesity.
2. It is high in sodium hence can create risk for the people already suffering from hypertension.