Hamburg Food preparations mostly include exotic fish-based and seafood dishes characteristic of the port being situated on the banks of the Elbe river. The flourishing trade activities on the port of Hamburg have highly affected the cuisine of the region especially after getting more exposed to spices. The region is also richly vegetated with fruits and fresh vegetables which are an integral part of the cuisine. Popular foods of Hamburg include- Birnen, Bohnen und Speck, Finkenwerder Scholle, Labskaus, Hummersuppe and Natonal.
Historical and Cultural Influences on Hamburg Cuisine
Hamburg Food has had major influence of intermingled cultures from the region and the trading communities that left behind ingredients and their ideas. The medieval period saw the region flourish as a major trading port and as a result many foreign foods and spices entered into the region. During the same time, Hamburg thrived as a center of brewing liquors housing over hundreds of breweries. There is also a theory that the inclusion of hops into beer began in Hamburg. The Hamburg steak got popularized among the other surrounding areas of Germany during 1800s.
Ingredients Commonly Used in Hamburg Foods
Hamburg Food preparations mostly use the principal ingredients popular in German cuisine including barley, hops, potatoes, sugar beets, oats, rye and wheat. Prime vegetables include carrot and cabbage and the fruits include pears, apples, strawberries, raspberries and currants. Apart from these, a wide range of meat and seafood is made use of in the cuisine. While beef, poultry, pork and lamb are the major meats, matjes or Herring are the major fishes whereas eels, shrimp and lobsters are the major seafood ingredients used in the cuisine.
Traditional Hamburg Cuisine Recipes
- Finkenwerder Scholle refers to a dish consisting of pan-fried flatfish called plaice along with shrimps, bacon and onions.
- Hamburger Hummersuppe is a pink colored soup made out of cream and lobster shells.
- Labskaus or Lobscouse is a combination of mashed potatoes, beetroot and corned beef often served along with pickled herring, fried egg and gherkin.
- Natonal is a stew prepared from turnips, potatoes and beef.
- Birnen, Bohnen und Speck is a Hamburg food preparation consisting of green beans cooked along with bacon and pears.
- Fliedersuppe or "Lilac soup" is made out of elderberries and presented along with sweet dumplings or blobs of whipped egg whites.
Popular Desserts include Rote Grütze - a summer pudding made out of red berries and served along with cream, vanilla sauce or milk and Franzbrötchen – a sweet pastry flavored with of cinnamon and sugar.