German pancake is a sweet baked pancake. It is also called as Dutch baby pancake, Bismark or Dutch puff. It is quite similar to Yorkshire pudding and has derived from Apfelpfannkuchen. It has the same ingredients as that of pancake. It is baked in a muffin-like metal pan. The center is sunken or fallen.
German pancake was inspired by apple pancakes. It was first made in the early 1900s. Victor Manca, owner of Manca’s café in Seattle created this dish. There is no data on why it was named so. Some stories mention that his daughters named it so as it was smaller than usual pancakes.
Ingredients and Preparation
Eggs, flour, milk and sugar are the main ingredients for making german pancake. Other ingredients like vanilla pods, cinnamon, honey, butter and lemon zest are used to flavor it.
Eggs and sugar are whisked together. All the other ingredients are added and poured in moulds and baked at 150 degrees for about 20 minutes till the pancake puffs and turn golden. The pan is removed from the oven and the pancakes collapse.
· German pancake can be served as breakfast or snacks.
· It is served with fruit preserves and fresh fruits like strawberries, kiwi, bananas, berries, currants or cherries.
· It is also served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream.
· Chocolate sauce or fruit sauces can be topped on the pancake.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 2 small pancakes
Calories – 200 cal, Fat – 10 g, Protein – 6 g, Carbohydrates – 15 g
· German pancake is not very high in calories but very high in fat. Fat can be reduced by avoiding butter in the batter. It should only be used on the griddle.
· Sugar can be reduced by using zero calorie sweeteners.
· Whole wheat flour should be used instead of refined flour to add dietary fiber to the pancakes. Other ingredients like oatmeal can also be added.
· Fruits like banana can be mashed and added to the batter. It adds potassium which helps to balance the sodium ions.
· Nuts like walnuts, pecans, macadamia can be added to the batter to increase the protein content.
· German pancake is a speciality of some diner chains like The Original Pancake House and Bickford’s
· David Eyre’s pancake is variation named after writer and Editor David W. Eyre.