I learned to make this sauerkraut from my mother who learned it from my German grandmother. It is easy and very frugal. Serve it with hot dogs or Kielbasa and mashed potatoes.
1 Small, sliced finely
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
1. Heat a braising pan with vegetable oil.
2. Put the cabbage and fry until wilted and light brown.
3. Add the sugar and mix. Put the peppercorns.
4. Cover with vinegar and season with salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
5. Cover and braise for about 1 1/2 hours until liquid is almost dried up.
6. In a serving plate, serve with hot dogs or Kielbasa and mashed potatoes.