Brown Butter Sage Cake and German Buttercream
|Egg whites||4 Large (4 3/4 Ounces for cake)|
|Whole milk||8 Ounce (1 Cup for cake + 1 Cup for buttercream)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Dash (for cake)|
|All purpose flour||10 Ounce (3 Cups for cake)|
|Granulated sugar||10 Ounce (1 1/2 Cups for cake + 10 Ounce for buttercream)|
|Baking powder||19 Gram (1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon for cake)|
|Salt||3 Teaspoon (for cake + 1 Teaspoon for buttercream)|
|Unsalted butter||6 Ounce, at room temperature (12 tablespoons for cake + 8 Ounce for buttercream)|
|Fresh sage leaves||15 Medium, some coarsely chopped (for cake)|
|Dry sage||1 Teaspoon, ground (for cake)|
|Vanilla bean||2 Medium (for buttercream)|
|Cornstarch||1 Ounce (for buttercream)|
|Egg||2 Large (for buttercream)|
|Egg yolk||2 Large (for buttercream)|
1) Split and scrape the vanilla beans setting the seeds and scrapings to the side.
2) In a pot Place the milk and scraped vanilla beans and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and allow to steep for atleast one hour.
3) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
4) Grease two 9-inch cake pans and line with a piece of parchment paper in the middle.
5) Brown Butter and Sage Cake : In a saucepan, combine the butter and all the sage and melt the butter over low heat. Once completely melted, increase the heat to medium and allow to brown without stirring. Once the butter has browned bits in the bottom and does make any noise set aside and allow to cool completely to room temperature.
6) In a bowl, whisk the egg whites, 2 ounces(1/4 cup) milk, and the vanilla together.
7) In the electric mixer bowl, sift the dry ingredients together then mix on low speed with the paddle attachment for 30 seconds to blend.
8) Remove the large pieces of sage. Add the egg mixture and the butter. Mix on low speed until the ingredients are moistened on low speed, then increase to medium speed and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate.
9) Slowly add in the remaining milk mixture scraping the sides as necessary. Beat on medium for about 1 1/2 minutes once all the milk is added.
10) Pour the batter into prepared cake pans until they are filled about half way up and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
11) Cool the cakes in the pans on wire racks for about 10 minutes then release them and allow them to cool on the wire racks completely.
12) Vanilla Bean German Buttercream : After steeping, remove the vanilla beans and use a rubber spatula to scrape the insides again and place with the milk. Bring the milk to a boil.
13) Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together the granulated sugar,the reserved seeds and scrapings, cornstarch, eggs, and yolks.
14) Temper your egg mixture with the hot milk by slowly drizzling in the hot milk while continuously whisking the egg mixture. Return the entire mixture back to the stove and bring to a gentle boil over medium to medium high heat while constantly whisking. Allow to boil for one minute while whisking. Remove from heat and pour into your electric mixer bowl.(Alternatively, chill your prepared custard in the refrigerator until completely cool. Be sure to cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming).
15) Using the whip attachment, whisk the custard until it has completely cooled to room temperature – if the custard is too hot it will melt the butter used later. Once the custard is completely cooled and whipped to a creamy state, add in the room temperature butter one stick at a time until completely incorporated.
16) Add the salt and continue to whip until creamy and icing-like. Refrigerate until ready to use. Be sure to whip before using if chilled.
17) Place a cake layer on a turn table with a piece of damp kitchen towel. Add about 1-1 1/2 cup buttercream icing on the cake and spread with a spatula. Then place another cake layer and ice the top and sides of the cake.
18) Decorate the cake with a 3 sage leaves on top and a few leaves at the bottom.
19) Slice the Brown Butter Sage Cake into pieces and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3939 Calories from Fat 1477
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 168 g257.7%
Saturated Fat 98.4 g491.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1181.6 mg393.9%
Sodium 7778.5 mg324.1%
Total Carbohydrates 553 g184.4%
Dietary Fiber 13.9 g55.7%
Sugars 299.3 g
Protein 69 g137.3%
Vitamin A 113.9% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 198.1% Iron 109.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet