Vanilla Bean German Buttercream
|Whole milk||1 Carton (1 l)|
|Vanilla bean||2 Medium|
|Granulated sugar||10 Ounce|
|Egg yolk||2 Large|
|Unsalted butter||8 Ounce (2 sticks at room temperature)|
1. Split and scrape the vanilla beans setting the seeds and scrapings to the side.
2. In a pot Place the milk and scraped vanilla beans and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and allow to steep for atleast one hour.
3. After steeping, remove the vanilla beans and use a rubber spatula to scrape the insides again and place with the milk. Bring the milk to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together the granulated sugar,the reserved seeds and scrapings, cornstarch, eggs, and yolks.
5. Temper your egg mixture with the hot milk by slowly drizzling in the hot milk while continuously whisking the egg mixture. Return the entire mixture back to the stove and bring to a gentle boil over medium to medium high heat while constantly whisking. Allow to boil for one minute while whisking. Remove from heat and pour into your electric mixer bowl.(Alternatively, chill your prepared custard in the refrigerator until completely cool. Be sure to cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming).
6. Using the whip attachment, whisk the custard until it has completely cooled to room temperature – if the custard is too hot it will melt the butter used later. Once the custard is completely cooled and whipped to a creamy state, add in the room temperature butter one stick at a time until completely incorporated.
7. Add the salt and continue to whip until creamy and icing-like. Refrigerate until ready to use. Be sure to whip before using if chilled.
8. Store at room temperature for 5 days, refrigerated for 10 days, or frozen for 3 months. Use the buttercream to ice a cake.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3696 Calories from Fat 2077
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 235 g361.6%
Saturated Fat 141.1 g705.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1380.8 mg460.3%
Sodium 2519.8 mg105%
Total Carbohydrates 369 g123.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.9%
Sugars 338.2 g
Protein 52 g103.1%
Vitamin A 152.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 133.4% Iron 17.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet