1. Keep aside some large leaves of cabbage.
2. Shred the rest of cabbage finely. Add salt and keep it aside.
3. Peel and shred the apples.
4. In a wooden keg (best for sauerkraut) or crock or sterile jar, make layers of cabbage and apple. After every layer, press it down firmly.
5. Cover it with the large cabbage leaves and top it with a piece of cheesecloth.
6. Place a heavy object like a plate or board over the cheesecloth to cover it.
7. Keep it aside in a cool place for 2 weeks.
8. Check taste to see if it is pickled enough.
9. If it still isn-€™t pickled, wash cheesecloth and board and cover it again. Keep it aside for another 5 days.
10. Taste to check whether it is done again.
11. Homemade Sauerkraut should be stored in a cool place or a refrigerator. Serve Homemade Sauerkraut with a plain rice preparation.