German Meatballs with Red Cabbage
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chuck||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Canned sauerkraut||8 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Canned apple slices||20 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can, 1 Pound 4 Ounce)|
|Grated onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Crumbled dried marjoram||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Bacon strips||4 , diced|
|Red cabbage||1 1⁄2 Pound, chopped (1 Head)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Caraway seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
1. In medium, bowl, beat egg well and mix adding bread crumbs, chuck, 1/4 cup sauerkraut, 3/4 cup chopped apple, the grated onion, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the marjoram until well blended.
2. Shape into 20 meatballs.
3. In 4-quart Dutch oven, fry bacon until crisp, remove and set aside.
4. In hot drippings, brown meatballs on all sides, remove and set aside.
5. In Dutch oven, combine remaining sauerkraut and chopped apple, the cabbage, chopped onion, caraway seed, chicken broth, vinegar, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
6. Stir until well blended and bring to boiling, covered.
7. Arrange meatballs on top of cabbage, cook over low heat, covered, 30 minutes until cabbage is tender.
8. Sprinkle with crisp bacon bits and serve.