|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Tart apple||2 Pound, thinly sliced, pared to make 5 cups|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted (1/2 Stick)|
|Apricot preserves||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla ice cream/Whipped cream||1 Tablespoon (Soft, As Required)|
1) Preheat oven to 400F.
2) Grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
4) Using a pastry blender or 2 knifes, cut in 1/4 cup of butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5) Stir beaten egg, milk and vanilla, stirring continuously with a fork until mixture is smooth for 1 minute.
6) Transfer the batter evenly in bottom of prepared pan.
7) Place the apple slices, thin sides down and slightly overlapping each other, in parallel rows over the batter.
8) In a bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
9) Dredge sugar mixture over the apple slices.
10) Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until apple slices are tender.
11) Take the pan out of oven and leave to cool over wire rack.
12) In a bowl, combine apricot preserves with hot water.
13) Using brush lightly spread the apricot mixture over apple.
14) Cut apple kuchen into rectangles and serve warm, with ice cream or whipped cream.
Calories 428 Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 77.6 mg25.9%
Sodium 280.5 mg11.7%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.8%
Sugars 33.9 g
Protein 4 g8.6%
Vitamin A 12.5% Vitamin C 363.8%
Calcium 21.9% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet