German Gold And Silver Bean Stew
|Dried great northern beans||1 Pound|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Lean beef||1 Pound, cut into 3/4-inch cubes|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||4 , cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Frozen peas||10 Ounce, Defrosted (1 Package)|
1) In a slow cooker, soak beans in water overnight.
2) Do not drain the water.
3) Put the lid on and cook over high heat for 2 to 3 hours until beans are soft.
4) In a non-stick pan, heat oil and brown the beef in it.
5) Stir the beef, carrots and salt in the beans.
6) In the same non-stick pan, pour ½ cup of cooking liquid and stir to remove the browned bit.
7) Stream the cooking liquid into the beans mixture.
8) Put the lid on and simmer for 8 to 10 hours more.
9) Stir in the peas during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
10) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley, in serving bowls and slice of German dark bread on side, if desired.
Calories 699 Calories from Fat 145
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.2%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47.6 mg15.9%
Sodium 1168.1 mg48.7%
Total Carbohydrates 86 g28.8%
Dietary Fiber 27.8 g111.2%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 54 g107.4%
Vitamin A 233% Vitamin C 37.3%
Calcium 26.7% Iron 51.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet