German Beef Supper
Crisco - 2 tablespoons
Apple - 1, pared and shredded
Carrot - 1, shredded
Onion - 1/2, sliced
Water - 1/2 cup
Dry red wine - 1/3 cup
Salt - 1 teaspoon or Anchovy paste - 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic - 1 clove, minced
Beef bouillon cubes - 2
Bay leaf - 1
Dried thyme - 1/8 teaspoon
Cornstarch - 4 teaspoons
Cold water - 1/4 cup
Kitchen bouquet - 1/4 teaspoon
Medium noodles - 4 cups, cooked and drained
Poppy seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
1) In hot Crisco, brown the meat.
2) Add carrot, apple, onion, 1/2 cup water, wine, salt, garlic, bouillon cubes, bay leaf and thyme.
3) Cover the mixture and simmer gently for about 2 hours, till the beef is tender.
4) Combine together the cold water and cornstarch and add to the beef mixture.
5) Cook and stir the contents till the mixutre is thick.
6) Add the kitchen bouquet and stir well.
7) To make Poppy Noodles, combine together the cooked noodles and poppy seeds.
8) On a serving plate, put the hot poppy noodles and top with the hot beef and gravy. Serve as a main course dish. Can be paired with beer or white wine.