Frankfurters with Red Cabbage
|Butter/Lard||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Red cabbage||2 Pound, thinly sliced (1 kg)|
|Cooking apples||2 Large, peeled, cored and sliced|
|Wine vinegar||30 Milliliter (4 tablespoons)|
|Water||30 Milliliter (4 tablespoons)|
|Sugar||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a pan, melt the butter or lard and fry gently the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Simmer stirring in the cabbage and apples for 10 minutes.
3. Bring to the boil adding the remaining ingredients, except the frankfurters.
4. Simmer with cover for 30 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the cabbage is tender.
5. Slice each frankfurter into three and stir into the cabbage mixture.
6. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool quickly, then transfer to a rigid container. Seal, label and freeze.
7. To serve the frozen dish, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours, then reheat in the covered casserole in a preheated moderate oven for 45 minutes until heated through.
Calories 368 Calories from Fat 219
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.7%
Saturated Fat 11 g54.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.1 mg22%
Sodium 675.5 mg28.1%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.1%
Sugars 17.4 g
Protein 12 g23.8%
Vitamin A 42.9% Vitamin C 157.6%
Calcium 27.2% Iron 22.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet