German Kreppel - Jam Doughnuts
|All purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Dried yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 packet)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla essence||3 Drop|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Frying oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (to fry)|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon (to sprinkle)|
1.In mixing bowl, sift the flour and add the dried yeast and mix well.
2. In a sauce pan, melt butter, add milk, keep warm.
3. Add the milk-butter mixture, sugar, salt, eggs, and vanilla essence to the flour.
4. With a mixer, stir at low level until ingredients are combined, then mix at high level for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
6. Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place until it has doubled in volume.
7. Remove the dough from the bowl, sprinkle with flour, knead it briefly, and form 16 balls of about the same size.
8. Put the balls onto a floured tea towel, cover with another towel and let the balls rise for 15 to 30 minutes, they must visibly increase in size
9. In a frying pan, heat the frying oil to 180 degrees centigrade.
10. Drop the balls in the hot oil without touching each other and fry from both sides until they are golden brown.
11. Remove the cooked kreppel with a spoon and drain on paper towels.
12. In a bowl, mix the jam until smooth, fill into a piping bag or decorating pen with a long tip, pipe the jam into the Kreppel, and sprinkle with icing sugar.
13. Serve cool.
Be patient in allowing the kreppels to rise!!!