Knuckle of Pork with Sauerkraut
|Pork knuckle||2 Pound (1 no.)|
|Baking apple||1 , peeled and cored|
|Juniper berries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As desired)|
|Mixed herbs||1 Tablespoon|
|Sauerkraut||1 Can (10 oz) (1 tin, in wine)|
|Onion||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Presoak the Romertopf (clay pot).
2) Preheat the oven to 400 F.
3) Then, boil the knuckle for an hour so that it is half cooked.
4) In the bottom of the soaked Romertopf, put the sauerkraut.
5) Then, shred one half of the apple.
7) In the other half, stick the cloves, a few juniper berries and the bay leaf.
8) On top of the sauerkraut, put all the apple.
9) On top, pour the stock.
10) In the centre of the Romertopf, place the chopped onion and the knuckle, making a shape in the sauerkraut.
11) In the hot oven, cook covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
12) You can add flour to thicken the juices before serving.
13) Finally, stir in butter.
14) Serve the Knuckle of Pork with Sauerkraut, along with potatoes.