Knuckle of Pork with Sauerkraut
|Pork knuckle||2 Pound (1 no.)|
|Baking apple||1 , peeled and cored|
|Juniper berries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As desired)|
|Mixed herbs||1 Tablespoon|
|Sauerkraut||1 Can (10 oz) (1 tin, in wine)|
|Onion||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Presoak the Romertopf (clay pot).
2) Preheat the oven to 400 F.
3) Then, boil the knuckle for an hour so that it is half cooked.
4) In the bottom of the soaked Romertopf, put the sauerkraut.
5) Then, shred one half of the apple.
7) In the other half, stick the cloves, a few juniper berries and the bay leaf.
8) On top of the sauerkraut, put all the apple.
9) On top, pour the stock.
10) In the centre of the Romertopf, place the chopped onion and the knuckle, making a shape in the sauerkraut.
11) In the hot oven, cook covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
12) You can add flour to thicken the juices before serving.
13) Finally, stir in butter.
14) Serve the Knuckle of Pork with Sauerkraut, along with potatoes.
Calories 351 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.6%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.8 mg35.3%
Sodium 348.5 mg14.5%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 37 g74.1%
Vitamin A 3.1% Vitamin C 12.2%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 10.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet