|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon peel||2 Teaspoon|
|Orange peel||1 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
|Mixed candied fruits||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), slivered blanched|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs), powdered|
|Boiling water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Grease a baking sheet with fat or oil.
3. In saucepan bring to a boil combining honey, molasses and sugar.
4. Remove from heat, add butter and cool.
5. Beat in lemon juice, egg, lemon peel and orange peel.
6. In another bowl sift flour, measure and sift again with soda, salt and spices.
7. Mix well adding to honey-molasses mixture.
8. Stir in candied fruits and almonds and chill dough overnight.
9. On a floured board roll out to 1/4-inch thickness, using one fourth of the dough at a time.
10. Cut into rectangles, 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches.
11. Place on greased baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven 10 minutes until brown.
12. To make glaze, in a bowl thoroughly blend powdered sugar, boiling water and extract.
13. Remove cookies from the oven and quickly brush glaze over them.
14. Immediately remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
15. Store in tight container a few days, to mellow.
15. Serve with coffee or tea.
Add a sliced apple or orange to add moisture.
Calories 1701 Calories from Fat 231
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.2%
Saturated Fat 11 g54.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 93.2 mg31.1%
Sodium 435.4 mg18.1%
Total Carbohydrates 360 g120%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.7%
Sugars 267.5 g
Protein 17 g33%
Vitamin A 11.1% Vitamin C 12%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 45.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet