Savory Sauerkraut Casserole
|Dried lima beans||1⁄2 Pound (Yellow Variety)|
|Sauerkraut||1 Pound, drained (1 Can)|
|Celery seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Tomato juice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Pork sausage meat||1 Pound|
|Chopped green peppers||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a saucepan, cook the dried Lima beans according to package directions, but for a few minutes less than the stated time.
3) Drain the beans.
4) Drain sauerkraut and rinse in cold water and drain.
5) Butter a shallow 1 ½ quart baking dish.
6) In a bowl mix the sauerkraut with celery seeds, brown sugar and tomato juice.
7) Season the sauerkraut mixture with salt and pepper.
8) In a skillet fry the sausage for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown on all sides.
9) Drain off the fat and mince with the fork.
10) In a bowl, combine the sausage meat, peppers and beans.
11) Arrange a layer of sauerkraut in the baking dish.
12) Top with a layer of beans mixture.
13) Repeat the process once more.
14) Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
15) Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
16) Serve hot on a flat serving dish.