Paprika Braised Chicken With Fruity Sauerkraut
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, stemmed, seeded, and cut into thin strips|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), slivered|
|Hungarian sweet paprika||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato puree||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Skinless chicken thighs||3 Pound (10 Thighs)|
|Prepared sauerkraut||2 Pound (1 Package)|
|Fruit puree||8 Ounce (Baby Food, 2 Jars, 4 Ounces Each, Such As Pear, Apple, Or Apricot)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 375Â°F.
2. Heat the oil in a 4-quart enameled cast-iron casserole over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and saute, stirring continuously, until the onion begins to turn golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Remove the casserole from the heat and stir in the paprika. Add the wine and return the casserole to high heat. Boil the wine until it has almost completely evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato puree and season with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Add the chicken thighs, and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover and transfer the casserole to the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, rinse the sauerkraut and squeeze it to press out all the moisture. In a nonreactive casserole (or even a deep glass pie plate), combine the sauerkraut with the fruit puree and the caraway seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and heat in oven for the last 15 minutes the chicken is cooking.
5. Remove both dishes from the oven. Stir the sour cream into the sauerkraut. Remove the chicken thighs from the sauce and transfer them to the sauerkraut. Spoon off the fat from the sauce in the casserole and adjust the seasoning. To serve, spoon the sauce over the chicken and sauerkraut.
Calories 908 Calories from Fat 423
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.8%
Saturated Fat 13.7 g68.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.9 mg5%
Sodium 1884.5 mg78.5%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.7%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 90 g179.1%
Vitamin A 27.5% Vitamin C 133.7%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 24.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet