Chicken and Sauerkraut
|Sauerkraut||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Frying chicken||3 Pound, cut up|
|Salt||To Taste (As Required)|
|Bacon fat/Lard||7 Tablespoon|
|Onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Garlic||1⁄4 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Hot chili peppers||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Rinse sauerkraut under cold running water and cover it with cold water for 10 to 20 minutes to reduce its sourness.
2) Press it dry by the handful.
3) Rinse the chicken pieces quickly under cold running water and dry them gently with paper towels.
4) Season the chicken pieces generously with salt.
5) In a heavy 10-inch skillet, over high heat, heat 4 tablespoons of fat until a light haze forms over it.
6) Add in chicken pieces, a few at a time and brown them starting with the skin sides down and turning them with tongs.
7) Transfer the browned pieces to a platter and continue the same process until all the chicken is done.
8) Keep aside.
9) In the skillet, heat rest of the fat until a light haze forms over it and sautÃ© onions and garlic in it for 2 or 3 minutes, until the onions are slightly translucent.
10) Stir in sauerkraut, chili peppers and a few grindings of black pepper.
11) Uncover and cook the mixture for 10 minutes over medium heat.
12) Lay the chicken pieces on top of the sauerkraut using the tongs and pour in stock.
13) Allow the liquid to come to a boil and then lower heat to low.
14) Cover and cook the liquid for 30 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
15) On a platter, serve the sauerkraut with the chicken, either surrounding it or as a bed for it.
Calories 1020 Calories from Fat 703
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g120%
Saturated Fat 25.1 g125.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281 mg93.7%
Sodium 1542.9 mg64.3%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g3.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.6%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 66 g131.9%
Vitamin A 11.1% Vitamin C 68.7%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 32.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet