Pork And Sauerkraut
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Pork loin roast||5 Pound|
|Sauerkraut||6 Pound, drained|
|Canned sauerkraut||6 Pound, drained well (6 Cans Of 1 Pound Each)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|White wine||750 Milliliter (1 Bottle, Preferably Rhine Or Moselle)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) With salt pork, rub a heavy, large kettle.
2) Score the salt pork.
3) Cut the roast into 3 or 4 big pieces.
4) In the bottom of the kettle, place the meat.
5) Over the meat, add the sauerkraut.
6) Gradually add onions, peppercorns, bay leaves, half of the wine and 1 cup of water. Cover the kettle.
7) Simmer for about 4 hours, or until the meat is soft.
8) Remove the meat and drain off liquid and fat from the kettle.
9) To the kettle, add the remaining wine.
10) Simmer for 1 hour.
11) Meanwhile, from the roast, remove the bones.
12) Remove fat and cut it into small, bite size pieces.
13) To the sauerkraut mix, return these and heat thoroughly.
14) Serve hot with German style potatoes and hot mustard.