|Beef||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Stewing beef||1 1⁄4 Pound (1 Inch Cubes)|
|Vegetable oil||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Carrot||4 Ounce, pared and grated (1 Medium Sized)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Apples||2 Small, cored, pared and grated|
|Apples||2 Small, cored|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dry red table wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Instant beef broth and seasoning mix||2 Ounce (2 Packets)|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the broiler.
2) In a broiling pan over a rack, place the beef 5 to 6 inches from heat source and broil for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side, turning once, until evenly browned .
3) In a 4-quart saucepan, saute the carrot, onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
4) Stir in the beef and rest of the ingredients, simmer covered
over a low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Uncover and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat is tender. Discard the bay leaf.
6) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.