Spareribs and Sauerkraut
|Lean pork spareribs||4 Pound, cut in serving pieces|
|Canned sauerkraut||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cabbage head||1⁄2 Small, sliced thin|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled, sliced thin|
|Apple||1 Large, quartered, cored, sliced|
|Dill weed/Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Season the spareribs with salt and pepper.
2) In a skillet or broiler pan in the oven, sear the spareribs until brown, then drain off the excess fat.
3) In a slow cooker, place a layer of the spareribs at the bottom, then a layer of sauerkraut, cabbage, onion and apple.
4) Repeat the layers until all the ingredients over.
5) In a bowl, add the dill weed or caraway seeds to water, then pour into the slow cooker.
6) Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, stirring few times.
7) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.
The dish can be prepared with either sauerkraut or cabbage, if you do not want to combine both.