Spareribs and Sauerkraut
|Lean pork spareribs||4 Pound, cut in serving pieces|
|Canned sauerkraut||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cabbage head||1⁄2 Small, sliced thin|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled, sliced thin|
|Apple||1 Large, quartered, cored, sliced|
|Dill weed/Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Season the spareribs with salt and pepper.
2) In a skillet or broiler pan in the oven, sear the spareribs until brown, then drain off the excess fat.
3) In a slow cooker, place a layer of the spareribs at the bottom, then a layer of sauerkraut, cabbage, onion and apple.
4) Repeat the layers until all the ingredients over.
5) In a bowl, add the dill weed or caraway seeds to water, then pour into the slow cooker.
6) Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, stirring few times.
7) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.
The dish can be prepared with either sauerkraut or cabbage, if you do not want to combine both.
Calories 350 Calories from Fat 112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g19.2%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154.2 mg51.4%
Sodium 547.3 mg22.8%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 48 g95.2%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 29.3%
Calcium 5.3% Iron 18.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet