The Non Traditional Pfeffernusse
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark corn syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot water||3 Tablespoon|
|Anise seed||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs), divided (4-4 1/2 cup)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
1. Collect and measure the required ingredients.
2. Into a large basin, sift together the flour with baking soda, salt and all the spices. Set aside until required.
3. Line 2-3 baking sheets with wax paper.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F before baking
5. In a large mixing bowl, place the butter or margarine and beat with an electric mixer until soft.
6. Gradually add sugar, beating until the mixture is light and creamy.
7. Blend in the syrup and hot water, adding them a little at a time and beating well after each addition.
8. Stir in the anise seed and the pepper.
9. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in batches, beating at low speed until well blended into stiff dough.
10. Cover the dough with cling film and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until well rested and chilled.
11. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted surface and knead lightly with your finger tips.
12. Divide into two eight portions and roll each into 1/2 inch thick strips, using a pastry or butter knife.
13. Cut each strip into 1-inch length pieces.
14. Arrange the slices on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inch space between each.
15. Bake them in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden
16. Remove from oven and cool cookies slightly on baking sheets then loosen with a spatula and slide them to on a wire rack to cool.
17. Dust the cookies generously with powdered sugar using a dredger or a tea strainer.
18. Serve them with tea or coffee.
19. These German-Dutch Christmas cookies are a bit spicy and are perfect for a cold winter evening.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5516 Calories from Fat 1267
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 145 g222.4%
Saturated Fat 87.8 g438.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 362.9 mg121%
Sodium 2394.8 mg99.8%
Total Carbohydrates 1016 g338.8%
Dietary Fiber 19 g76.1%
Sugars 408.8 g
Protein 62 g124.3%
Vitamin A 85.5% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 29.4% Iron 182.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet