Bavarian Red Cabbage Bayerisches Kraut
|Red cabbage||3 Pound (1 Large Head)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Apples||2 Medium, peeled, cored and diced|
|Dry red wine/Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Shred the cabbage.
2) in colander, rinse the shredded cabbage.
3) Drain it well and keep aside.
4) In Dutch oven or large kettle, heat the oil or drippings.
5) Over low heat, saute the shredded cabbage.
6) Keep stirring and cook for 10 minutes or until cabbage starts to wilt.
7) In the kettle, add apple along with wine or vinegar, bay leaf, salt and sugar.
8) Cover the kettle and cook on low heat.
9) Simmer the mixture for at least 2 hours, while stirring frequently.
10) In the kettle, add jelly.
11) Mix until melted and well-blended.
12) Cover the kettle and simmer of further 10 minutes.
13) Serve the cabbage warm as side dish.