Pig's Knuckles And Sauerkraut
|Onion||1 , stuck with 2 cloves|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Broth/Beer / white wine||1 Pint (Or More)|
1) On the bottom of a large kettle, place half of the sauerkraut in a layer.
2) Add the knuckles, along with the pepper, onion and caraway seeds.
3) In another layer, add the remaining sauerkraut.
4) Over the layers, pour the broth, beer or white wine. Cover the kettle.
5) Bring the ingredients to a boil and reduce the heat. Gently cook over low heat till the knuckles are completely tender. This usually takes about 3 to 31/2 hours.
6) During the final 10 minutes of cooking, add the frankfurters.
7) Serve the knuckles hot over a bed of sauerkraut. Garnish with the frankfurters. Boiled potatoes can be served as a side dish, in addition to lots of good mustard or horseradish and some pickles.