Pig's Knuckles And Sauerkraut
|Onion||1 , stuck with 2 cloves|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Broth/Beer / white wine||1 Pint (Or More)|
1) On the bottom of a large kettle, place half of the sauerkraut in a layer.
2) Add the knuckles, along with the pepper, onion and caraway seeds.
3) In another layer, add the remaining sauerkraut.
4) Over the layers, pour the broth, beer or white wine. Cover the kettle.
5) Bring the ingredients to a boil and reduce the heat. Gently cook over low heat till the knuckles are completely tender. This usually takes about 3 to 31/2 hours.
6) During the final 10 minutes of cooking, add the frankfurters.
7) Serve the knuckles hot over a bed of sauerkraut. Garnish with the frankfurters. Boiled potatoes can be served as a side dish, in addition to lots of good mustard or horseradish and some pickles.
Calories 600 Calories from Fat 289
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.2%
Saturated Fat 11.4 g57.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 206.2 mg68.7%
Sodium 1492.1 mg62.2%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 67 g133.9%
Vitamin A 3.6% Vitamin C 33.3%
Calcium 22.9% Iron 34%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet