|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg/Mace||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Dark raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Candied red cherries||4 Ounce, chopped (1 Jar)|
|Mixed candied peel||8 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), melted|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. In small saucepan, heat milk just until bubbles form around edge of pan; remove from heat. Add granulated sugar, 1 cup butter and the salt, stirring until dissolved. Let cool to lukewarm (a drop on wrist won't feel warm).
2. In large bowl that has been rinsed with hot water, sprinkle yeast over warm water (if possible, check temperature of warm water with thermometer); stir until dissolved.
3. Stir in milk mixture, 3 cups flour, the nutmeg, lemon peel and eggs; beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth—at least 2 minutes.
4. Gradually add remaining 3 cups flour; mix in last of it with hand until dough is stiff enough to leave side of bowl.
5. Turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Knead until smooth and elastic—about 5 minutes.
6. Place in lightly greased large bowl; turn dough over to bring greased side up. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, until double in bulk—about 1 hour. Grease 2 cookie sheets.
7. Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Knead in raisins, candied fruit and almonds until well distributed—about 5 minutes.
8. Divide dough in half; shape each half into an oval 10 inches long and 6 inches across at widest part. Brush each with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
9. Fold dough in half lengthwise. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Press folded edge lightly, to crease; then curve into crescent shape. Repeat with other half of dough.
10. Cover Stollen with towels; let rise in warm place (85°F) until double in bulk— 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
11. Preheat oven to 375°F.
12. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until nicely browned (if crust seems too brown after 20 minutes of baking, cover with foil or brown paper).
13. Remove to wire rack. Brush each with 1 tablespoon butter; cool.
14. To store: Wrap in plastic wrap, then in foil. Store in refrigerator or freezer several weeks.
15. To serve: Let warm to room temperature. Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.