|Almonds||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Golden raisins||5 Ounce|
|Chopped citron||7 Ounce|
|Chopped candied cherries||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Package)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , well beaten|
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Glaze||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Two 15 1/2 x 12-in. baking sheets will be needed.
2. Blanch almonds and chop.
3. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping; mix remainder with golden raisins, currants, chopped citron, candied cherries and lemon peel.
4. Set fruit mixture aside.
5. Scald milk.
6. Meanwhile, soften yeast in water. Set aside.
7. Put sugar, butter and salt into a large bowl.
8. Pour scalded milk over ingredients in bowl and stir until butter is completely melted. When lukewarm, blend in flour and nutmeg, beating until smooth.
9. Stir softened yeast and add, mixing well.
10. Measure flour.
11. Add about one half the flour to the dough and beat until very smooth. Add eggs in thirds, beating well after each addition.
12. Add reserved fruit mixture and mix thoroughly. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and allow it to rest 5 to 10 min.
13. Knead dough. Form dough into a smooth ball and place it in a lightly greased, deep bowl. Turn dough to bring greased surface to top. Cover bowl with waxed paper and towel and let stand in warm place (about 80 °F) until dough is doubled (about 1 1/2 to 2hrs.).
14. Punch down dough with fist; pull edges in to center and turn dough completely over in bowl. Cover with waxed paper and towel; let rise again until nearly doubled (about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.).
15. Again punch down dough; turn onto lightly floured surface. Divide into two portions; shape each into a smooth ball. Let rest 5 to 10 min.
16. Meanwhile, lightly grease the baking sheets.
17. Roll or pat out each ball of dough into an oval 13 in. long and about 1 in. thick. With rolling pin, flatten and press one lengthwise half of oval about 1/2 in. thick. Turn unflattened half of dough over flattened half; lightly press edges together. Press the fold down firmly; this helps to prevent dough from springing open during rising. Repeat to shape second oval.
18. Place Stollen on baking sheets. Brush tops with melted butter.
19. Cover with waxed paper and towel and let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 1/2 hrs.).
20. Bake at 350°F 35 to 40 min., or until Stollen are golden brown.
21. While Stollen are baking prepare Confectioners' Sugar Glaze.
22. Remove baked Stollen to cooling racks. Spread glaze over tops. Sprinkle with reserved nuts.
Calories 1207 Calories from Fat 371
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66%
Saturated Fat 18 g89.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 146.6 mg48.9%
Sodium 548.5 mg22.9%
Total Carbohydrates 187 g62.4%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.2%
Sugars 76.2 g
Protein 25 g49.8%
Vitamin A 17.8% Vitamin C 24.3%
Calcium 17% Iron 46.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet