Red Cabbage Alsacian Style
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Red cabbage||1 1⁄2 Pound, shredded|
|Boiling water||1 Pint|
|Prunes||4 Ounce, stoned|
|Cooking apples||4 Ounce, diced|
|Cornflour||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Cold water/Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use A Little)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Mixed spices||1 Pinch|
1) In a thick pan, over low heat, heat oil and sauté onion in it until transparent.
2) Stir in vinegar, sugar, cabbage, water, prunes and apple and cover and simmer the mixture, stirring frequently.
3) When the cabbage is just soft, uncover and simmer the mixture to allow reduction in water.
4) Blend cornflour with cold water or wine.
5) Add this to the cabbage mixture and boil till the mixture thickens.
6) Mix in mixed spices, salt, more sugar and more vinegar.
7) Serve hot.