Chocolate-Coconut Bavarian Pie
|Unsweetened chocolate square||3|
|Sifted confectioners' sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Coconut||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), grated|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
1. Melt 2 squares chocolate and butter together in top of double boiler; stir to blend. Combine 2 table- spoons hot milk and confectioners' sugar; stir into chocolate mixture.
2. Add 11/2 cups coconut; mix well. Press to bottom and side of greased 8-inch pie plate; refrigerate.
3. Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Beat egg yolks lightly in top of double boiler; stir in gelatin mixture, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Cook over hot water, stirring, until custard coats spoon.
4. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until custard mounds when dropped from spoon; beat just until smooth.
5. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form; add remaining sugar, gradually, beating until stiff. Fold in custard mixture, whipped cream, vanilla and 1/2 cup coconut. Pour into crust, re- serving about 1/3 of the filling mixture.
6. Refrigerate pie and reserved filling until almost set; heap re- served filling on center of pie. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving and then grate remaining chocolate and mix the coconut to sprinkle over the pie.