Braised Sauerkraut With Juniper Berries
|Sauerkraut||20 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound, cut in small dice|
|White onions||3 Small, each peeled and stuck with 2 cloves|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and quartered|
|Bouquet garni||1 , tied in cheesecloth|
|Juniper berries||1 Tablespoon, tied in cheesecloth|
|Beef broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Drain sauerkraut and squeeze of all moisture from it. Keep aside.
3. Place a large ovenproof skillet over a medium high flame.
4. Add the salt pork and sauté till well browned.
5. Stir in the drained sauerkraut, onions, carrots and aromats and stir until slightly soft.
6. Pour the water and stock over the vegetables in the pan and give a stir.
7. Cover skillet with its lid and simmer the sauerkraut until it reaches a boil.
8. Place the covered skillet in the preheated oven and braise the cabbage for 45-50 minutes, until cabbage and onions are very tender and lightly caramelized.
9. Serve the sauerkraut as a side dish to stews, roasts or grills. It can also be used as a stuffing or filling.