Flemish Red Cabbage And Apples
|Red cabbage||1 Small, shredded medium fine|
|Spanish onion||1⁄2 Large, peeled and sliced thin|
|Apples||4 , peeled, cored, sliced thin (Baldwin, Mcintosh Or Jonathan)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry red wine/Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a stock pot or a large kettle, combine cabbage, onion, apples, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
2. Tip in the wine and give a stir.
3. Cover the pot and place on a medium low flame.
4. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until cabbage is just tender-crisp.
5. Slide in butter and sprinkle pepper. Add more salt if required.
6. Serve the cabbage hot as an accompaniment to beef steak roasts or grills.
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 59
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.4%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 1048.4 mg43.7%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38.1%
Sugars 40.9 g
Protein 5 g9.1%
Vitamin A 61.2% Vitamin C 253.8%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet