Honey Roasted Duck With Sauerkraut
|Duck||5 Pound (1 Whole)|
|Drained sauerkraut||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Juniper berries||1 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seed||2 Tablespoon|
|Honey||3 Tablespoon (Clover / Wild / Lower Variety Preferably From The Heartland)|
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Discard visible fat from the duck and keep aside the giblets for other purposes.
3. Take a bowl, add sauerkraut, juniper berries [optional] and caraway seeds and toss thoroughly. Stuff the duck cavity with this mixture and using skewers, secure cavity.
4. Using fork tines, prick the duck and spread honey.
5. Add ¼ inch to ½ inch water in roasting pan. Arrange the duck, with breast side facing up, on the rack after rack is placed in pan.
6. Without covering, roast for an hour. Lower temperature to 325°F and roast for 1 hour 40 minutes more, continuing to prick while roasting.
7. Transfer to a warm serving platter when duck skin turns golden brown and thigh joints are moved easily. Allow to stand for 10 minutes and then carve.
8. Serve hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5122 Calories from Fat 3154
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 350 g538.5%
Saturated Fat 114.6 g573.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1814.3 mg604.8%
Sodium 4093 mg170.5%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.2%
Dietary Fiber 23.8 g95.4%
Sugars 44.7 g
Protein 406 g811.9%
Vitamin A 43.6% Vitamin C 311.8%
Calcium 45.1% Iron 587%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet