Lemon Bavarian Cream
|Gelatin envelope||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the lemon juice in a glass measuring cup to soften.
2. Meanwhile, combine the milk and lemon rind in a heavy, large saucepan. Bring to boiling. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool slightly.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the 1/3 cup sugar and salt in a medium-size bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and lemon colored. Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly. Stir back into the saucepan.
4. Heat, do not boil, over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 to 5 minutes. Strain the custard through a strainer into a bowl. Add the gelatin mixture; stir to dissolve.
5. Set the bowl in a large pan of ice and water to speed the setting. Stir occasionally until the mixture begins to thicken.
6. When the gelatin mixture begins to set, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar in a large bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar until soft peaks form.
7. Fold the whites into the gelatin mixture. Spoon into a glass serving bowl, mounding the top. Cover lightly and chill until just set, up to 4 hours.
Calories 158 Calories from Fat 47
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 159.9 mg53.3%
Sodium 103.8 mg4.3%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.35 g1.4%
Sugars 20.4 g
Protein 7 g14.1%
Vitamin A 4.9% Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 2.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet