German Potato Stuffing
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Potatoes||16 Large, pared and diced|
|Onions||3 Large, chopped|
|Thinly sliced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarse dry bread crumbs||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Slightly Dry)|
|Chopped parsley||6 Tablespoon|
1. Melt vegetable shortening and the butter or margarine in a large, heavy kettle.
2. Stir in potatoes, onion, celery, salt and pepper; cover loosely.
3. Cook slowly, stirring often, 30 minutes, till potatoes are tender.
4. Pour milk over bread crumbs in a small bowl; stir into potato mixture, then stir in eggs. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until eggs are cooked. (Flecks of cooked egg will show in the stuffing.) Remove from heat.
5. Stir in the parsley. Cool slightly.
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.8%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.2%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 21.1 mg7%
Sodium 186.3 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.2%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 3 g6.2%
Vitamin A 4.7% Vitamin C 36.4%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet