German Pot Roast
|Beef brisket||4 Pound|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), finely chopped|
|Ginger root piece||1 , peeled and finely chopped (1 1/2-inch)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry vermouth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Onions||2 , finely chopped|
|Pickling spice||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole black peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Gingersnaps||4 , crushed|
1. Rub brisket all over with salt. Place brisket in a large bowl and sprinkle garlic and ginger root over top.
2. Combine vinegar, water, vermouth, sugar, onions, cloves, bay leaves, pickling spice, peppercorns, mustard and vegetable oil. Pour marinade over brisket. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, turning once.
3. Remove brisket from marinade and reserve 2 cups (500 ml) of marinade. Pat meat with paper towels. In a Dutch oven, heat oil; add brisket and cook, turning once or twice, for about 10 minutes, until brown.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Pour reserved marinade over brisket; cover and bake in oven for 2 to 3 hours, or until meat is tender.
5. Let stand 10 minutes to firm. Remove meat to board and slice. Cover and refrigerate until required. Place pan juices in refrigerator until fat layer hardens.
6. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
7. Arrange brisket slices in 8 1/2 x 12 1/2-inch (21x31-cm) shallow casserole. Remove fat from pan juices and strain juices into a saucepan. Add crushed ginger-snaps. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes, until thickened. Pour over brisket slices.
8. Reheat in oven about 15 minutes, until hot. Serve immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5597 Calories from Fat 3434
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 382 g586.9%
Saturated Fat 141.7 g708.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1233.7 mg411.2%
Sodium 5306.7 mg221.1%
Total Carbohydrates 143 g47.6%
Dietary Fiber 10.1 g40.3%
Sugars 89.7 g
Protein 341 g682.8%
Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C 56.6%
Calcium 30.1% Iron 199.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet