Hamburg Steak With Onion Sauce Oriental Style
|For fried onion|
|Onion||7 1⁄16 Ounce (200g, 1 onion, 2/3 for hamburg meat mixture, 1/3 for onion sauce)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Broccoli||5 1⁄4 Ounce (150g)|
|Potato||5 2⁄3 Ounce, steamed (160g, 1 no)|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground beef and pork||8 3⁄4 Ounce (250g Mixture, beef : pork=7 : 3)|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch|
|Panko||1⁄2 Ounce (15g, Breadcrumbs)|
|For onion gravy|
|Water||1 2⁄3 Ounce (50ml)|
|Soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Grated garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Butter||1⁄3 Ounce (10g)|
|Daikon radish||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Ponzu/Japanese citrus-based sauce||1 Tablespoon|
1. Cut the onion into half. Slice the onion with the root end attached.
2. Slice the onion horizontal to the cutting surface.
3. Chop the onion into fine pieces.
4. Chop the stalk of the broccoli and chop the flower into 1 inch pieces.
5. Peel the stalk and chop into bite size pieces.
6. Cut the steamed potato into 4 pieces.
7. Cut the tomato into half and slice it into half moons.
8. Grate the garlic clove.
9. Heat olive oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion for 2-3 minutes at high heat.
10. Stir fry until 6 minutes until colored on medium heat.
11. Remove and let the onion cool on a plate.
12. Heat oil in a pan and fry the potato and broccoli in the pan in high heat until brown.
13. Add salt and pepper.
14. Sprinkle some water and cover to steam and fry for 2-3 minutes.
15. Remove the lid and stir the vegetables. Toss to cook evenly.
16. Transfer it to a plate and serve as side dish.
17. Place the tomato, broccoli and potato in a plate.
18. To prepare the hamburg meat, add milk to the bread crumbs and mix.
19. Season the meat with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
20. Knead the meat mixture with hands until it is a bit gluey.
21. Add 2/3 of the fried onion and bread crumb to the meat mixture.
22. Crack a egg into a small bowl and add it to the mixture.
23. Knead the mixture thoroughly.
24. Clean your hands and divide the mixture into half.
25. Wash your hands and grease hands lightly with oil.
26. Shape the meat mixture and form a ball.
27. Toss the ball from one hand to the other to remove air from inside.
28. Shape it into oval and make an indent at the center.
29. Repeat the process for the other half.
30. If the meat mixture is too soft, let them cool down in the refrigerator.
31. Heat oil in a pan and add the meat shapes. Press lightly and make a dent at the center.
32. Cook until they are golden brown at the bottom. Flip them over and fry the other side evenly.
33. If there is too much oil in the pan, remove with a paper towel.
34. Add measured amount of water to the pan and let it steam and fry until the water has evaporated almost completely.
35. Prick the meat to check the juice is clear.
36. Serve the hamburg steak on the plate along with the veggies.
37. To make the onion gravy, add water, soy sauce and mirin to the pan.
38. Add remained fried onion to the pan and heat at medium heat.
39. When it starts to boil, add butter and grated garlic to the pan.
40. Stir lightly, when the butter is dissolved, turn off the burner.
41. Pour the onion gravy over the hamburg steak.
** Removing the air from the meat mixture will prevent it from breaking into pieces while being cooked.