This German speciality, Blaukraut is made from red cabbage and flavored with vinegar, apples onions and last but certainly not least...LARD..this can be left out for those wanting a vegan dish. Perfect for pork chops, pork loin or Sauerbraten.
1 Large, finely chopped
1 Medium, dice
1 Medium, chop
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Apple cider vinegar
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1 1⁄2 Tablespoon
1. Melt lard in a pot; add onion, apples, kosher salt and black pepper.
2. Add the cabbage to the pot, add bay leaves and apple cider vinegar and a little bit of water.
3. Cover the pot with a heavy lid and cook for an hour at medium low heat, stirring every 20 minutes.
4. Once cooked add 1- 1/12 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
5. Serve with pork chops, pork loin or Sauerbraten.