|Dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||5 Ounce (1 Small Can)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|All purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Tart cooking apples||6 Medium|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1 Teaspoon|
1. Make cake batter: Sprinkle yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar into very warm* waterjin a large bowl. ("Very warm" water! should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves; let stand until mixture bubbles, about 10 minutes.
2. Heat butter or margarine, evaporated milk, granulated sugar and salt in a small saucepan over low heat; stir until butter or margarine melts and sugar dissolves; cool. Add to yeast mixture with beaten eggs, stirring until well blended.
3. Add about half the flour; beat with a wooden spoon until smooth, about 200 strokes. Add remaining flour; beat until shiny and elastic, about 200 strokes more. Scrape down side of bowl; cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place away from draft, about 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
4. Beat dough down; divide in half. Spread dough into two greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans. Cover with a towel and set in a warm place, away from draft, to rise for 15 minutes.
5. Make topping: Pare, quarter and core apples; cut into very thin slices (about 1/8-inch). Mix brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl. Melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan.
6. Arrange apple slices over dough in overlapping pattern. Let rise 15 minutes longer, or until dough is almost double in bulk. Sprinkle with sugar mixture; drizzle with melted butter or margarine.
7. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks at least 30 minutes. Freeze one cake, if you wish.