Date & Almond Stollen
|Sugar||60 Gram (1/4 Cup)|
|Warm milk||250 Gram (1 Cup, 110 F, 43Â°C)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages, 0.25 Ounce Each)|
|All purpose flour||500 Gram (3 1/3 Cup)|
|Butter||150 Gram, softened (1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Almonds||50 Gram, chopped (1/2 Cup)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Tablespoon (Peel Of 1 Lemon)|
|Cornstarch||25 Gram (1/4 Cup)|
|Milk||450 Milliliter (Scant 2 Cups)|
|Sugar||100 Gram (1/2 Cup)|
|Finely chopped dates||250 Gram (1 1/4 Cup)|
|Butter||15 Gram (1 Tablespoon)|
|Powdered sugar||200 Gram, sifted (1 2/3 Cup)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (Juice Of 1 Lemon)|
|Toasted sliced almonds||3 Tablespoon|
1. For the dough, stir 1 teaspoon sugar into warm milk and sprinkle with yeast.
2. Let stand 5 minutes or until the surface is frothy.
3. Stir gently to moisten any dry particles remaining on top.
4. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
5. In a medium bowl, beat eggs, remaining sugar, butter, almonds and lemon peel.
6. Stir in yeast mixture.
7. Add to flour mixture, combining to make a dough.
8. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth, 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Cover and let rise in a warm place 30 minutes.
10. To make filling, blend cornstarch with a little milk, egg yolk and sugar in a medium bowl.
11. Put dates and remaining milk into a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
12. Stir milk and dates into cornstarch mixture; add butter.
13. Return to saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
14. Cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming.
15. Grease a baking sheet.
16. On a floured surface, knead dough; roll out 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick.
17. Spread date mixture evenly over dough.
18. Roll opposite edges to meet at center; press together to flatten center.
19. Place on greased baking sheet; let stand 20 minutes.
20. Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
21. Bake stollen 1 hour or until a rich brown.
22. Transfer to a rack.
23. To make frosting, put egg white into a medium bowl; beat in powdered sugar and lemon juice.
24. Frost stollen while still warm.
25. Sprinkle with sliced almonds before frosting sets.