German Style Calf's Liver
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Green pepper||1 Large, cut into 1/4 inch wide strips|
|Red cooking apples||2 Medium, cut into 1/2 inch wedges|
|Calf s liver slices||4 (Each 1/2 Inch Thick)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Apple juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons hot butter or margarine (1/4 stick), cook onions, green pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned. Remove onion mixture to one side of warm large platter; keep warm.
2. In same skillet over medium heat, in 2 more tablespoons hot butter or margarine (1/4 stick), cook apple wedges until tender, turning apple wedges once during cooking. Remove apple wedges to platter with onion mixture.
3. Meanwhile, trim any membrane from calf's-liver slices. On waxed paper, mix flour, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt; use to coat liver slices.
4. In same skillet over medium heat, in 2 more tablespoons hot butter or margarine (1/4 stick), cook liver slices about 5 minutes, turning once, until crisp and browned on outside and delicate pink inside (medium). (Don't overcook, or liver will be tough.) Arrange liver slices on same platter with onion mixture and apple wedges.
5. To skillet, add apple juice, stirring to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet. Spoon apple-juice mixture over slices.