German Style Calf's Liver
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Green pepper||1 Large, cut into 1/4 inch wide strips|
|Red cooking apples||2 Medium, cut into 1/2 inch wedges|
|Calf s liver slices||4 (Each 1/2 Inch Thick)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Apple juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons hot butter or margarine (1/4 stick), cook onions, green pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned. Remove onion mixture to one side of warm large platter; keep warm.
2. In same skillet over medium heat, in 2 more tablespoons hot butter or margarine (1/4 stick), cook apple wedges until tender, turning apple wedges once during cooking. Remove apple wedges to platter with onion mixture.
3. Meanwhile, trim any membrane from calf's-liver slices. On waxed paper, mix flour, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt; use to coat liver slices.
4. In same skillet over medium heat, in 2 more tablespoons hot butter or margarine (1/4 stick), cook liver slices about 5 minutes, turning once, until crisp and browned on outside and delicate pink inside (medium). (Don't overcook, or liver will be tough.) Arrange liver slices on same platter with onion mixture and apple wedges.
5. To skillet, add apple juice, stirring to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet. Spoon apple-juice mixture over slices.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 899 Calories from Fat 172
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g30%
Saturated Fat 10 g49.9%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 406.3 mg135.4%
Sodium 517.9 mg21.6%
Total Carbohydrates 153 g50.9%
Dietary Fiber 21.9 g87.6%
Sugars 68.7 g
Protein 36 g72.6%
Vitamin A 899.1% Vitamin C 341.9%
Calcium 19.5% Iron 65.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet