Coffee Bavarian Cream
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon|
|Strong black coffee||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
1. Soften the gelatin in the water.
2. Beat the egg yolks in the top part of a double boiler and add one-quarter cup of the sugar and the salt. Gradually add the milk. Cook over hot water, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
3. Add the softened gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add the vanilla and coffee and chill until slightly thickened.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating constantly. Whip the cream until slightly stiff. Fold into the gelatin mixture with the egg whites.
5. Pour the mixture into a one-quart mold which has been rinsed out in cold water and chill until firm.