German Meatball Stew
|Ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potato||1 Large, pared and grated|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||1 Pound, pared and sliced|
|Beer/Beef broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, potato, and ginger, blending evenly. Shape 24 meatballs.
2. Arrange meatballs evenly in a 2-quart glass baking dish. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.
3. In a 3-quart glass casserole, combine onions and oil and cook 2 minutes. Stir in carrots and cook, covered, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add meatballs, beer, and 1 cup water to casserole. Bring to boiling and cook 10 to 12 minutes, rotating one-quarter turn halfway through cooking time.
5. In a 2-cup glass measure, combine 1/2 cup water with flour and stir to blend. Stir flour mixture into liquid in stew. If desired, drop dumpling dough on stew. Cook, covered, 7 to 10 minutes, rotating one-quarter turn halfway through cooking time.
6. Rest, covered, 10 minutes