Almond Bavarian Cream
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||6 , beaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Pint, whipped|
1. Blanch and chop the almonds coarsely. Toast if desired.
2. Combine one cup of the milk with the sugar, egg yolks and the chopped almonds. Cook over low heat, stirring, until thickened. Add the vanilla.
3. Soak the gelatin in the remaining milk, add a little of the hot custard and stir until dissolved. Combine the two mixtures and set aside to cool. When it starts to thicken, fold in the whipped cream.
4. Oil a two-quart mold and pour the mixture into it. Chill about two hours in the refrigerator.
5. Unmold and serve with crushed fruit or berries and additional whipped cream.