Viennese Crescents With Walnuts
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Walnut meats||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), sifted|
1. Chop the vanilla bean. Pound it in a mortar or pulverize it in an electric blender with about one tablespoon of the sugar. Mix with the remaining confectioners' sugar. Cover and let stand, preferably overnight. Reserve while cookies are baked.
2. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
3. Cut the walnuts with a sharp knife into very small pieces. Pound the pieces to a paste, using a mortar and pestle.
4. With a wooden spoon or the fingers, mix the walnuts, butter, granulated sugar and flour to a smooth dough. Shape the dough, about a teaspoon at a time, into small crescents, about one and one-half inches in diameter.
5. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet until lightly browned, or fifteen to eighteen minutes. Cool one minute. While still warm, roll the cookies in the prepared vanilla sugar.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5508 Calories from Fat 3070
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 346 g533.1%
Saturated Fat 128.8 g643.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 483.8 mg161.3%
Sodium 31 mg1.3%
Total Carbohydrates 535 g178.2%
Dietary Fiber 34.3 g137.3%
Sugars 267 g
Protein 77 g153%
Vitamin A 112.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 27.8% Iron 127.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet