Oxtail Stew, German Style
|Oxtails||3 , disjointed|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce, drained (Reserve Liquid, 1 Can Of 28 Ounce)|
|Hot water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Potatoes||4 , washed and pared|
|Carrots||6 , pared|
|Fresh peas||2 Pound, shelled|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Coat oxtail pieces evenly with a mixture of 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
2. Heat the butter in a 3-quart Dutch oven over low heat. Add onions and cook until tender, stir ring occasionally. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add meat and brown on all sides.
3. Return onions to Dutch oven; add reserved tomato liquid and the hot water; cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is nearly tender.
4. Meanwhile, using a ball-shaped cutter, cut the potatoes and carrots into small balls; cut the toma toes into pieces.
5. When meat is almost tender, add potatoes, carrots, peas, paprika, and remaining salt and pep per. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes longer, or until meat is tender. Remove meat and vegetables; keep hot.
6. Bring cooking liquid to boiling and stir in a mixture of the cold water and 2 tablespoons flour; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Return meat and vegetables and heat thoroughly.