Whole Garlic Appetizer
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sweet red onions||2 Large, quartered|
|Whole peppercorns||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery stalks||4 , chopped|
|Carrots||4 Medium, sliced|
|Rosemary||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Fresh, If Possible)|
|Thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Fresh, If Possible)|
|Oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Fresh, If Possible)|
|Marjoram||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Fresh, If Possible)|
|Coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Fresh, If Possible)|
|Basil||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Fresh, If Possible)|
|White wine vinegar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pickled green chilies||4 Ounce (1 Small Can)|
1) Take a skillet and heat oil in it.
2) Remove the outer covering from garlic heads and remove a 1/2 inch slice from top of each head, revealing meat of cloves, but leaving heads as it is.
3) Fry the garlic, onions, and peppercorns in oil quickly by turning frequently for about 3 minutes.
4) Now add celery, carrots, rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram, coriander and basil.
5) Fry quickly for about 5 minutes,mixing all the while.
6) Now add vinegar, wine, water, bay leaves and dry mustard.
7) Reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
8) Thoroughly mix in chiles and reduce to a simmer for 3 minutes.
9) Remove from heat, strain, retaining garlic and 1 cup cooking liquid.
10) In a flat baking dish, put the garlic heads.
11) Now pour the retained liquid over, cover with lid and chill.
12) Serve chilled as an appetizer for using as a spread on French bread rounds or crackers.
13) It can also be eaten plain as a relish course or cloves peeled and mixed in salads.
Calories 571 Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 159.4 mg6.6%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23.2%
Dietary Fiber 11.2 g44.7%
Sugars 16.9 g
Protein 10 g20.3%
Vitamin A 214.9% Vitamin C 88.2%
Calcium 31.5% Iron 23.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet