Stuffed Vine Leaves with Garlic Yogurt
|Preserved vine leaves||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Spring onions||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm), trimmed and finely chopped|
|Chopped fresh parsley||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Mint sprigs||10 Large, chopped|
|Finely grated lemon rind||1|
|Crushed dried chilies||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Long grain rice||6 Ounce (175 Gram, Scant 1 Cup)|
|Olive oil||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter, 1/2 Cup)|
|Thick natural yogurt||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter, 2/3 Cup)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
1. Rinse the vine leaves in plenty of cold water. Put in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
2. Mix together the onion, spring onions, parsley, mint, lemon, chilli, fennel, rice and 25 ml / 1 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil. Mix thoroughly and season with salt.
3. Place a vine leal, veined side facing upwards, on a work surface and cut off any stalk. Place a heaped teaspoonful of the rice mixture near the stalk end of the leaf.
4. Fold the stalk end of the leaf over the rice filling, then fold over the sides and carefully roll up into a neat cigar shape.
5. Repeat with the remaining filling to make about 28 stuffed leaves. If some of the vine leaves are quite small, use two and patch them together to make parcels of the same size.
6. Place any remaining leaves in the base of a large heavy-based saucepan. Pack the stuffed leaves in a single layer in the pan. Spoon over the remaining oil then add about 300 ml / 1/3 pint / 1 1/4 cups boiling water.
7. Place a small plate over the leaves to keep them submerged in the water. Cover the pan and cook on a very low heat for 45 minutes.
8. Mix together the yogurt and garlic and put in a small serving dish. Transfer the stuffed leaves to a serving plate and garnish with lemon wedges and mint, if you like. Serve with the garlic yogurt.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2192 Calories from Fat 1216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 138 g211.6%
Saturated Fat 25.4 g126.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29.2 mg9.7%
Sodium 1770.8 mg73.8%
Total Carbohydrates 217 g72.4%
Dietary Fiber 14.5 g58.2%
Sugars 15.4 g
Protein 27 g54.5%
Vitamin A 158.4% Vitamin C 197.1%
Calcium 58% Iron 82.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet