Ortolans On Croutons
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Cubed salt pork||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Amber rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White bread slices||8 , with crusts trimmed|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Truss ortolans. Rub the skin with the cut side of the lime half. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Render the salt pork over high heat in a Dutch oven. Saute ortolans for 6 minutes, or until well browned.
3. Heat rum, ignite it, and pour it, still flaming, over the birds. Place birds on a serving platter.
4. Pour wine into Dutch oven to deglaze. Mix 1 tablespoon butter and cornstarch and add to wine. Stir until sauce is slightly thicker.
5. Make croutons by frying bread slices in butter until brown on both sides.