Cream of Tomato and Port Soup
|Tomato puree||100 Gram|
|Parsley stalks||10 Gram|
|Fresh bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Streaky bacon||80 Gram|
|Vegetable stock||1600 Milliliter|
|Double cream||200 Gram|
|Fresh basil leaves||6 Small (for garnish)|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon, milled (use as per taste)|
1. Make the vegetable stock.
2. Wash, peel and chop carrots into ½” dice.
3. Peel and chop the onion into ½” dice.
4. Cut the bacon into ½” dices.
5. Cut the croutons and fry in shallow oil.
6. Drain on kitchen paper and leave for the garnish.
7. Wash the basil leaves, dry and put aside for the garnish.
8. Weigh all the ingredients.
9. Blanch the tomatoes, then peel and deseed them.
10. Slice the flesh into fine julienne for garnish.
11. Put the skins in the vegetable stock.
12. Pour the stock into a saucepan, add the parsley stalks and bay leaves, bring to the boil and allow to simmer gently.
13. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat, melt the butter, add the carrots, onion and bacon and sweat for about 5 minutes without color.
14. Stir in the flour to make a roux.
15. Cook for a further 2 minutes, remove from the heat and add the tomato purée and stir in well.
16. Return to the heat and slowly add the simmering stock until all the stock has been absorbed, stirring all the time.
17. Add the sugar and season to taste. (Be careful with the salt because of the bacon, which can be a little salty sometimes).
18. Simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes.
19. Pass the tomato soup through a fine strainer into a clean saucepan.
20. Check the seasoning and consistency.
21. Bring the tomato soup to a gentle heat and add the port and cream (save a little cream for garnish).
22. Simmer for a further 2 minutes.
23. Ladle the tomato soup into warmed soup bowls, add the julienne of tomatoes to each bowl, drizzle over a little cream and garnish each bowl with a few fresh basil leaves.
24. Serve with a small bowl of croutons.
Calories 429 Calories from Fat 295
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.6%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.1 mg4.7%
Sodium 2174.9 mg90.6%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.6%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 7 g13.2%
Vitamin A 75.9% Vitamin C 16.1%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet