Stuffed Sausage Loaf
|Unsalted butter||3 Ounce, melted (75 g)|
|Green pepper||1 , cored, seeded and chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Button mushrooms||2 Ounce, sliced (50 g)|
|Sausages||1 Pound, cooked and diced (450 g)|
|Gouda cheese||6 Ounce, grated (175 g)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
1. Slice the loaf almost through but leaving a hinge so that it can be opened. Scoop out the center of the loaf and brush the inside with melted butter
2. In a hot oven, place the scooped out bread and bake till crisp. Crumble this into fine breadcrumbs.
3. Heat the rest of the butter in a pan, add the green pepper, celery, and mushrooms to fry gently.
4. Transfer this to a bowl and add the breadcrumbs, sausages, cheese and egg and stir well to mix.
5. Spoon this mixture back into the hollowed out load and close the lid.
6. Bake in a hot oven for 10-20 minutes till done.
7. The unbaked loaf can also be frozen. Wrap with foil, label and store.
8. Serve the hot baked loaf immediately
9. Thaw the loaf in its wrappings at room temperature 2 hours before serving, then place the foil-wrapped loaf on a baking sheet.
10. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven (190°C/375ºF or Gas Mark 5) for 15 minutes, then fold back the foil to uncover the loaf.
11. Increase the heat to hot (220°C/425°F or Gas Mark 7) and bake for a further 10 minutes until crisp. Serve as in step 8