Ava's Holiday Cookies
|Sifted all-purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened (1 1/2 Sticks)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Decorating)|
|Colored sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dragees||1 Tablespoon (Colored Variety)|
|Chocolate pieces||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Prepare 2 ungreased cookie sheets for the cookies
3. On a sheet of waxed paper, sift the flour with baking powder, salt, and nutmeg and mix well
4. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, pour in the butter and then whip it with the granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla till light and fluffy.
5. Use a wooden spoon to add half of the flour mixture to the pan and beat well. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix again if required. Chill the dough and set aside till required.
6. The next morning or after 24 hours, divide the dough into four parts and then chill them again till ready to roll out.
7. Set out two sheets of waxed paper and roll out the dough one part at a time. Each dough sheet should be 1/8 inches thick.
8. Use assorted cookie cutters to cut out cookies and place then 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes or till the cookies are cooled down.
9. Spread the cookies with decorative frosting, colored sugar, dragees, and nonpareils and shaved chocolate. Let it cool for one hour on a wire rack
10. Store in an air tight cookie jar and serve as required
Calories 146 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.1%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.8 mg7.3%
Sodium 51.4 mg2.1%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.4 g1.6%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 2 g3.7%
Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 1.5% Iron 4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet